This Week's Photo.

This Week's Photo.
Halloween.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The story.

This is the first blog EVER written for Jennuine Photography. I'm not completely official yet, but hopefully I get a website up and running soon.

My name's Jenn Nguyen, so you can see [and hear] the connection between that and the name of my photography. This name was started about four to five years ago by a lovely lady named Chanelle Paul, but I call her Nellie. Of course, she would always call me that WITH a Chinese accent. Little did I know, this would be the start of something really awesome. [me] LOL.

I got my first camera way back in Grade 10. It was a small point and shoot, Kodak. Of course, it would break four months later. Then about a year later, I got another Kodak point and shoot from my mom, and it worked REALLY well. So well, that I got the same one after I broke that one. But this was when I started to see the world a little differently. God's creation is AMAZING, and I wanted to capture it all to post it up on my walls. I got my small camera to do a lot of crazy stuff. Sometimes people would ask me if I used a macro lens, and I would say, "HELL NO BABY! It was a lil' ol' point n' shoot!" not word for word, obviously.

So to continue my story...

I then decided that I was going to start doing poorly in school, I didn't do my homework, I'd skip, etc. Then, in Grade 12, I decided to load up on my arts courses, since I was doing academics for most of my life. Photography 12 was just a filler course for me. I was thoroughly interested, but I knew nothing about it, and I didn't think I wanted to learn. It became my favourite course, with my favourite teacher. Without her, I probably would not have graduated with the rate I was going. She told my I had an eye for this. I took that, and ran.

July 2008 was when I got my DSLR, my big camera. I was reccomended to get the Nikon D40. I have yet to regret it. It was small and light, and really easy to use. It costed $556. 97 and it was great. Of course, I knew close to nothing about how useful M,A,S,P were, so I stuck with auto for the longest time. I had good photos, but I knew there was something more.

I then decided to enroll myself in a 10 week workshop at Vancouver Photography Workshop [Ontario & 7th]. The classes ended yesterday, November 12, 2009. I am proud to say that there is a HUGE difference in my photos, and my confidence behind them.

Coincidentally, I met this girl, Angela, way back in Grade 9 for three months. About a month ago, I see her working at a Starbucks not too far away from my house. I told her I was trying to find a job in photography, and she told me that they were hiring at Sears Portrait Studios. So I applied, and got the job. It's great.

So far, I'm loving it. The next step you ask? Is to start a real portfolio and get admitted into VanArts.

No comments:

Post a Comment